Situated just halfway between Minchinhampton and Nailsworth this is possibly how the pub got its name. It was called the Halfway House as early as 1745.
The pub was refurbished and re-opened on 8th October 1999 as the Halfway Inn. In July 2000 a giant chessboard was installed in the pub garden.
The pub was bought by the Cotswold Chine School in Box in June 2002. The name of the pub reverted back to the Halfway House in the winter of 2005. It was named the Dining Pub of the Year in the Cotswold Life Food and Drink Awards 2007. The Halfway House closed suddenly at the end of May in 2008 and was closed for six months before reopening again just before Christmas.
Cotswold Chine School (Novalis Trust) controversially closed the Halfway House permanently in 2012 despite an active and determined campaign to save it for the community.
This page will be updated with additional information.
Map Reference: SO 857003
Rateable Value 1891: £12.0s.0d
Type of licence in 1891: Beer and Cider
Owner in 1891: Nathaniel Clarke. Free from brewery tie
Rateable Value 1903: £12.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse
Owner in 1903: Smith & Sons, Brimscombe Brewery
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Owners in 1980: Whitbread Breweries
Owners in 1999: Red Rose Taverns
Owners in 2009: Novalis Trust
Landlords at the Halfway House include:
1881 Charles Matthew Whale (occupation given as boiler maker)
1891 Lewis Edwin Biss
1903 William Henry Apperley
1903 Samuel William Clarke (owner)
1939 Mrs Edith Norton
1984 (October) Jim and Jeanette Currie
1995, July 1999 Roy and Hazel Marklove
1999 Rob Smith
2001(April) Mike Porter
2001 Ross Saunders (Halfway Inn)
2002,2005 Matthew Walker and Sarah Lowe
2006 Dawn Winchester
2006 (Nov),2007 Heather Creighton
2009 Niall McInerney