The pub was located on the corner of Grosvenor Terrace and Albion Street, directly opposite the Albion Vaults in Sherborne Place. The Grosvenor Brewery Inn closed in 1968. The building is now occupied by Insight Gloucestershire, helping sight impaired people.
The owner of the Grosvenor Brewery in 1891 was Mary Ann Cooper and she ran the pub free from brewery tie. She was listed as a brewer in the Kelly’s 1883 directory, indicating that the Grosvenor Brewery did brew its own beer. In 1891 it was a licensed beer house with an annual rateable value of £22.0s.0d. In 1903 the Grosvenor Brewery Inn was ‘tied to Harry Warner’. In that year Harry Warner was also the owner of the Norwood Arms in Leckhampton Road and the Golden Heart at Nettleton Bottom near Birdlip. Moreover, he is known to have brewed beer on the premises at the Norwood Arms. It seems likely that brewing operations ceased at the Grosvenor Brewery and ‘home brew’d’ ales were then supplied by the Norwood Brewery. The RV remained unchanged in 1903.
Walter William Spragg is recorded as licensee of the Royal Vaults in Albion Street in 1926/1927 and the Grosvenor Brewery Inn in 1939.
Landlords at the Grosvenor Brewery Inn include:
1878 Edwin Brawn
1883,1891 Mary Ann Cooper (listed as a brewer in 1883)
1891 Mary Ann Cooper
1903 Henry Bird
1920 William Joseph Day
1927,1939 Walter William Spragg