12 Gloucester Street in 1919 directory. The Greyhound Inn is an unusually shaped building on the corner of Gloucester Street and Lansdown.

It was rebuilt by Godsell & Sons in 1903. The Greyhound was designed in the Arts and Crafts style by the London architect Percy Morley-Horder. The Godsell’s ‘Labore et Honor’ malt shovel clasped in hand trademark can still be clearly seen on the front of the building. The original building is documented to have its own brewery in 1885.

Courtesy Michael Wilkes

The original ingenious split-level two-bar layout was comprehensively trashed in the 1990s.

The Greyhound Inn closed in 1999 but was reopened again in December 2002. In June 1998 a delivery lorry knocked off the stone greyhound dog statue, which had graced the pub for decades. The statue was eventually restored, painted gold and now looks resplendent above the front door of the Greyhound Inn.

The gent’s toilets are undoubtedly the most impressive Victorian toilets remaining in Gloucestershire. Five ‘Adamant’ urinals survive that were installed by the sanitary plumbers Gardener & Son of King Street, Stroud, over a hundred years ago. The original black and white chequered Victorian tiled floor also survives. The gent’s lavatory was once a public convenience and had its own separate entrance.

5th April 2019 – The Greyhound Inn reöpens today as South American bar/restaurant Galgos—which is Spanish for greyhound. The pub closed its doors last May and is being reöpened by the two sisters behind the Made in Venezuela shop at the top of the High Street.

According to the Stroud News & Journal, ‘the interior of the pub has been completely transformed and is now decorated with bright colours and upcycled objects, as well as products from the sisters’ former shop’.

Licensing Details:

Owner in 1891: Godsell & Sons, Salmon Springs Brewery, Stroud

Rateable value in 1891: £46.0s.0d.

Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse

Owner in 1903: Godsell & Sons, Salmon Springs Brewery, Stroud

Rateable value in 1903: £46.10s.0d.

Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse

Closing time in 1903: 11pm

Landlords at the Greyhound Inn include:

1830 Richard Hill (Greyhound, Badbrook Street)

1856 D. Darke

1885 Rowland Ford (listed as a brewer in 1885)

1891 George Stokes

1902, 1906 Henry Price

1919,1927 Thomas James Hayes

1939 Thomas Hayes Bacon

1983, 1986 Charles and Ann Bedwell (from August 1983, Charles then aged 30, Ann aged 32)

1988 Maureen Holiday & Andrew Richards

1998 David Redshaw

2002, 2004 Annabel Walker and James John Versaci

2005 Hector Cobbe (bar manager)

2008 Senor Nano de Gabriel

Share this Page: