The 1871 Census refers just to ‘Mr Avery’s Inn’. The pub was recorded as being called the Great Western in the 1891 and 1903 licensing books. The Great Western was so named because of its location near the GWR line from Stroud to Swindon. There is a reference to the Tetbury Road Hotel in 1913.
By 1919 the pub had changed its name to the Railway Hotel. In 1939 it was owned by the P.R.H.A. – Peoples Refreshment House Association, In more recent times the pub has been known as the Thames Head Inn. The ‘official’ source of the River Thames is less than a quarter of a mile away. (It is hardly worth the trouble finding the source as it is just a few bubbles flowing from a pile of rocks in a field – and that’s on a good day!)
The Citizen, Thursday July 16th, 1987: Pub Sold – The Thames Head Inn has been sold through the Bristol office of Christie & Co., who were asking £180,000 for the freehold, to Mr and Mrs Nicholl. The substantial roadside freehouse stands in its own grounds of around 2.25 acres – the amenities include a large bar, restaurant area, games room, skittles alley and beer garden. Also included in the sale was a paddock which could possibly be developed into a touring caravan park and owners’ five bedroom accommodation with potential for letting.
The Thames Head Inn is now a tied house of Arkell’s Kingsdown Brewery, Swindon.
This page will be updated with additional information.
Map Reference: ST 981986
Owner in 1891: M. Biddulph, Esq., M.P. (free from brewery tie)
Rateable Value in 1891: £23.4s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: M. Biddulph, Esq. (free from brewery tie)
Rateable Value in 1903: £23.4s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Owner in 1939: Peoples Refreshment House Association (P.R.H.A)
1885,1906 Mrs Mary Ann Avery – aged 68 in 1885
1913, 1919 Frank J. Avery (referred to as the Tetbury Road Hotel in 1913)
1992,1998 Robert and Shirley Kirker
2005,2007 Nichola King and Ben Lord (Thames Head Inn)