Martin Edwards has done a lot of research into the pubs of Cheltenham and has found a reference to a beer house located at 64 Burton Street in 1844 called the Golden Lion.
A pub called the Old Pack Horse was trading at 63 Burton Street as recorded in the 1891 petty sessional licensing records. Could the Golden Lion be an early incarnation of the Old Pack Horse?
To confuse matters there was also a Golden Lion just a few yards away in the Lower High Street. This Golden Lion was on the northern side of the street.
1844 Charles Crowther (Golden Lion, 64 Burton Street)