The Golden Heart, which dates from c.1540, was originally in the middle of a row of three cottages but the pub has gradually expanded into the neighbouring properties.
The owner of the Golden Heart in the year 1903 was Harry Warner. A man of the same name was a brewer in Cheltenham. Harry Warner is listed at the Grosvenor Brewery in Albion Street and, in 1903, he was brewing beer at the Norwood Arms Brewery in Cheltenham. If the owner of the Golden Heart is the same man as the Cheltenham brewer the pub once sold beer brewed at the Norwood Arms!
The Cotswold stone buildings have hardly changed at all in the last one hundred years or so but the Gloucester to Cirencester road (A417) that passes in front of the pub has changed from a country road to an important trunk route linking the M4 and M5 motorways. In the 1980’s the road between Gloucester and Cirencester was made into a dual carriageway for most of its length, but for some inexplicable reason the section through Nettleton Bottom was left out of the road widening scheme. It is now a notorious accident blackspot and is called the ‘missing link’. On 16th March 1998 a lorry collided with a car in a fatal accident and then crashed through the walls of the dining room causing considerable damage.
In 1990 business partners David Morgan and Catherine Stevens took over the Golden Heart and built up the food trade. In 2001 they were awarded the prestigious Best Pub Caterer award in the Booker Prize for Excellence. At the time they were serving an average of 800 meals a week and creating delicacies such as kangaroo casserole and crocodile fillets! David has also been keen on stocking interesting real ales, and a beer festival is usually organised during the August Bank Holiday.
The Golden Heart scooped the top award of the Good Food Guide 2009 ‘Pub of the Year’. Joint editor of the Good Food Guide Alastair Aird said that the Golden Heart was the all round winner because of it’s affordable food, good beers, welcoming atmosphere and backs of character.
This page will be updated with additional information.
Map Reference: SO 945137
Rateable Value in 1891: £36.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1891: Trustees of James Goodrich (free from brewery tie)
Rateable Value in 1903: £24.5s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Harry Warner (free from brewery tie)
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords at the Golden Heart include:
1856 R. Sadler
1885,1891 Elizabeth Sadler
1902 Charles Wasley
1903,1906 William Simmonds
1919,1927 James and Elizabeth Little
1939 Nathaniel John C. Partridge
1989 John and Jeanne Ashton
1995 Noel Gibley
1990, 2008 David Morgan and Catherine Stephens