The stone built George Inn is situated to the west of Nailsworth. The building was originally a row of three cottages. When the pub opened in 1820 it was known as the New Inn. It later changed its name to the George Inn. In 1903, unlike the pubs in Nailsworth, the George closed at 10 p.m. There must have been a few customers heading down the hill to get an extra pint or two in after closing time.
This page will be updated with additional information.
Map Reference: ST 841997
Owner in 1891: Stroud Brewery
Rateable value in 1891: £6.10s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Stroud Brewery
Rateable value in 1903: £6.10s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Full licence
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords at the George Inn include:
1885 Mrs Lizzie Evans
1891,1903,1906 Eliza Evans
1919 Mrs Annie Nicholls
1927 Geo. Hy. Taylor
1939 Cuthbert A. Lusty
1988 Dave Hicks
1995, 2009 Bob Pike and David de Sousa (chef)