The George Inn was located on the west side of Market Street in the centre of Cinderford, just to the south of the junction of the High Street. The George Inn is listed as being in Commercial Street in 1901, but the address was 27 Market Street.
Nailsworth Brewery supplied beers to the George Inn. The 1891 book of licensed premises in Gloucestershire confirms that Clissold & Sons of Nailsworth were owners. Presumably the opening of the Severn Railway Bridge between Berkeley and Lydney in October 1879 made it feasible for the Nailsworth Brewery to acquire outlets in the Forest of Dean area. It is known that the Nailsworth Brewery had its own dedicated store in Cinderford Railway station. The George, however, was the only Nailsworth Brewery tied house in the town. The George Inn was designated beer house status but the substantial annual rateable value of £30.0s.0d. in 1891 and 1903 would suggest that the premises was hardly ‘spit and sawdust’. Closing time was 11 pm.
Cheltenham Original Brewery took control over the Nailsworth Brewery in 1908 and beers to the George were then supplied from Cheltenham.
The pub was also known by locals as the ‘Dog and Muffler’. The George closed in 1970.
The Gloucester Journal reported on 10th February 1973 that the George Hotel in Market Street has ‘been empty for several years and each month that goes by can only add to its deterioration. It is a great pity that such a large sound building like this should go to waste, particularly when it is situated so centrally” In March 1975 Cinderford Town Council gave permission for the conversion of the George Hotel in Market Street to be converted to offices.
Landlords at the George Inn include:
1868 Isiah Morgan
1871-1878 Samuel Freeman (also a carpenter)
1882,1884 William Thomas
1897-1901 William Westaway (listed as George Inn, Commercial Street in 1901)
1902 Herbert James Hale and Robert James Hale (listed as beer retailers)
1902-1910 Herbert James Hale
1935,1939 Ernest Parry
1970 Cyril Pinchin