The 19th century George has a very special place among the 92 pubs owned by Arkell’s brewery. The village was the birthplace of John Arkell in 1802 and there are generations of the Arkell family buried in the village churchyard. It was hardly surprising that John Arkell returned here in 1861 to purchase his third pub, a building he must have been familiar with when he was growing up. It was the first ‘country’ pub that Arkell’s purchased. It has probably got the distinction of being the pub in the county to have served beer from just one brewery for the greatest length of time.
This page will be updated with additional information.
Map Reference: SU 158968
Owner in 1891: Arkell & Son, Kingsdown Brewery, Swindon
Rateable Value in 1891: £20.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Arkell & Son, Kingsdown Brewery, Swindon
Rateable Value in 1903: £20.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords at the George Inn include:
1856 A. Ashcombe
1891 William Westbury North
1903,1906 Edward B. North
1913,1919 Frank Yates
1927 James Stratford
1939 Charles Herbert
1998 Ted and Barbara Cade (retired Dec. 1998 after over 25 years in the trade)
2008 Roy Samsum