The George was located on the western side of the High Street at the northern end by the junction of Red Lane. The exterior of the George belies its true age as the building dates from 1772, although the ground floor front was constructed in the 1920’s. The upper floors are Georgian. The rear of the property is 17th century in origin. The annual takings fell from £361 in 1912 to just £194 in 1915, a direct result of the impact of the First World War – less male drinkers and higher taxes on beer to assist the war effort. The George was recommended for closure with compensation but Mrs Ellen Seers, the new landlady, appears to have revitalised the fortunes of the pub. It was purchased by Ind Coope & Co of Burton on Trent for £2,750 in 1917. The brewery spent £950 on the construction of stabling at the George Inn, which in latter years became the pubs skittle alley.
From ‘Tewkesbury Pubs’ by Brian Liddell (1996 edition).
One of the grand old pubs of Tewkesbury which has survived by continually adapting to changing times. Interior late 20th century, lower front 1920’s, upper front 1780, rear 17th century. Between 1912 and 1915 the outlook in business sense grew bleaker by the day. Annual takings dropped from £380 to £247 to £194. The owners, Wilson’s Breweries, considered taking advantage of the Compensation Act but the timely arrival of Ellen Sears in 1915 proved to be a turning point in the fortunes of the house. Income rose to £380 in 1916, making the house a good buy for Ind Coope in 1917, at £2,750. They spent £950 on new stabling, which was soon converted to stores, skittle alley and beer garden. This part was converted between 1988 and 1992 into an attractive residential area, having a river frontage and open area on the lane, a welcome rejuvenation of a run down plot.
‘George’ appears to be King George III, which ties in with the date of 1774. Landlord John Easthope, born in the slums of nearby Lock Court, had enough drive and ability to get himself elected M.P. and later became Sir John, not bad for an alley brat.
From ‘Tewkesbury Pubs’ by Brian Linnell, 1996 edition.
Brothers opened as a one-roomed piano bar in 1989. Two brothers were the tenants, hence the name. Shortly afterwards a second bar was opened upstairs. The main bar comprises the whole of the old front and back bars of ‘The George’ together with most of the passageway that linked them. This old way was once Sparkes Alley, now totally blocked by the stairway to the upper bar. The main bar is large, stark and ideally suited to containing large numbers of drinkers and talkers. So far this house has not acquired a reputation for anything.
The identity of the George Inn was changed to the Brothers in 1987. It aimed for the younger drinking set. In 1997 the lease of the pub was bought by Kelly Perkins when she was aged just 21. Kelly’s mother, Cindy Perkins, was landlady at the Anchor Inn at that time. The pub then changed its name to the St. George. Unfortunately the St George ceased trading in 1999 and was boarded up. It was then purchased by Bath based Four County Inns Ltd who originally aimed to reopen it in the Spring of 2002. Edward Toomer, the director of the company told the ‘Gloucestershire Echo.’ “It will be called the George and will be a tavern for real ale drinkers, very much for the older generation. We hope to have a tea room upstairs. Restoration work has already exposed its 18th century fireplace. It will be a proper real ale pub, selling Gloucestershire-brewed beers.”
Unfortunately the dream never really materialised and two months after re-opening the pub closed yet again because of lack of trade. The George opened its doors again in 2003 as a wine bar / bistro. A 24 seater upstairs restaurant was opened in March 2007.
Sadly the George Inn has now closed. The building now houses Tewkesbury Post Office.
Owner in 1891: Tewkesbury Brewery
Rateable value in 1891: £16.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Ind Coope & Co, Burton on Trent, Staffordshire
Rateable value in 1903: £32.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Landlords at the George Inn include:
1774-1778 Richard Roberts
1778-1779 Thomas Hazle
1779-1786 William Garne
1786 Ann Garne (widow)
1786-1795 T. Waldron
1795-1806 William Finch
1806-1808 Thomas Parker
1808-1810 John Easthope (later to become Sir John Easthope in 1841)
1810,1822 Joseph Hignell
1837,1840 John Nash
1840-1840 Henry Llewellyn
1841,1852 Thomas Hignell
1858 William Starling
1860 Mrs Starling
1863,1868 William Hathaway
1871 Thomas Thornbury
1873 H. Whales
1874 David Vick
1876 Alfred Smith
1879-1883 Robert Predith
1883-1889 John Predith
1889,1891 David Vick
1899,1907 Charles Edward Smith
1907-1910 W.H. Jones
1910-1911 F.W. Arnold
1911-1913 William Marrian (listed as Wm. Morrison by B.L. Linnell)
1913 Trevor Pountain
1913-1915 H. Dellar
1915-1924 Mrs Ellen Seers
1924-1925 George Edward Stanton
1925-1930 Samuel Charles Baker
1930-1937 Ernest E. Parrott
1937-1939 John H. Timothy
1941 William Gifford
1941-1949 Connie Boughton
1949 Charles Fries
1964 Mrs M. Cowley
1969 Mr Hulse
1969,1971 Harry C. Murray
1989 P. Gorman (pub trading as Brothers)
1997 Kelly Perkins (St George – Kelly was the daughter of Cindy Perkins at the Anchor Inn)
2003 Christophe Bourgeious and Jayne Moore (managers)
2006 Clive and Jeanette Middlecote (owner Edward Toomber)
2006,2007 Christian Kostivk and Lucy Pickering