The George Hotel was next to the Bull Hotel. The building is now the Fairford Post Office.
On May 1st 1898 the landlord of the George Hotel had a nasty shock when a couple of fat steers ran amok on their way to Lechlade market. The ‘Wiltshire and Gloucestershire Standard’ reported:’ One animal rushed into the an open stable of the George Inn where it fairly knocked over a horse that Mr Scarrott was grooming. It then went for Scarrott himself and sent him over. The horse having recovered itself landed the intruder a furious kick in the ribs, which started it off from the stables. The animal then rushed through the open door at the back of the George Inn. Mrs Cowley just managed to take refuge in a sitting room when the beast charged past her into the kitchen, smashing up the table and chairs and upsetting the heavy wooden settle.’
The Cirencester Brewery bought the George Inn on 24th November 1929. The George was eventually amalgamated with the Bull and the licence relinquished.
In the years before the Great War of 1914-1918 the George Hotel was covered in lime wash to protect the stonework and timber frames underneath. When the exterior coating was removed the fine timbered upper storey of the George was revealed. The metal bracket from which once hung the pub sign still remains to this day.
Map Reference: SP 151010
Owner in 1891: Misses Silvester (leased Cirencester Brewery)
Rateable Value in 1891: £24.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Misses Silvester (leased Cirencester Brewery)
Rateable Value in 1903: £24.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Present status: Fairford Post Office
Landlords at the George Hotel include:
1856 T.C. Shurmer
1885 Mrs Mary Ann Hope
1891,1898 James Levi Scarrott
1902 Edward Cowley
1903,1906,1927 Fred Price