The George Hotel was once an important coaching inn in the town of Winchcombe. It occupied a central position opposite the junction with North Street.
A booklet ‘Gloucestershire Inns’, published in 1924 contains the following: ‘’At Winchcombe the George is reminiscent of past centuries. It was once the favourite resort of hosts of pious pilgrims who visited the influential and rich Hailes Abbey, two miles distant. What is known as the pilgrims’ gallery is still an integral part of the hotel. The number and character of pilgrims who thronged to the George may be guessed from the fact that at Hailes Abbey was kept one of the most precious relics that ever stirred Mediaeval religious life, a jealously guarded bottle containing a few drops of Christ’s blood. The present ruins of the Abbey are exceedingly interesting.’
Whitbread published a book in 1974 called ‘Inn and around ’ featuring 250 of their pubs. It gave a description of the George Inn on page 140: ‘England cricketer Tom Graveney is more than just a regular here – he’s part of the family. The George Inn is run by his sister-in-law. A beautiful old inn, it has been part of the High Street scene in this peaceful country town for 700 years. Hundreds of years ago, it was a stopping place for pilgrims – and to this day the George still has the pilgrim’s gallery and the stone bath in the yard which they used. The pilgrims’ former dormitory is now the fine beamed restaurant, and some of the 16 bedrooms still have the ancient timbers showing. The food is good, the drink is good, the accommodation trim, clean and comfortable. Add these to a cricketing yarn or two – and it makes for the perfect enjoyment.’
The last pints of beer were pulled in the George Hotel in April 1988. It has since been converted into residential apartments. (George Mews) The old inn sign is now in Winchcombe museum.
Owner in 1891: Flowers & Sons, Stratford on Avon
Rateable value in 1891: £29.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Flowers & Sons, Stratford on Avon
Rateable value in 1903: £29.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Landlords at the George Hotel include:
1830 John Cooper
1856 C. Cooper
1865 George Nash (Naish)
1885 Geo. Troughton
1891 Charles Beach
1903,1906 William R. Stretton
1919 Albert Day
1927 George John Atkins