Gloucester Journal: September 1790 – On Thursday morning last, between five and six o’clock fire broke out in a house at the back of Mr. Newberry’s ironmonger, near the George Inn, Cheltenham, which was not extinguished till two houses were reduced to ashes. The George was in great danger, but by the activity of the people it was fortunately secured from injury. The fire was occasioned by the flue of an ironing stove injudiciously carried up near some old timber. The premises were luckily insured in the Phoenix Fire Office.
The George Hotel is listed at 118 High Street in 1830 Pigots directory. This was on the north side of the High Street where Marks & Spencer now stands.
Rowes Illustrated Guide to Cheltenham in 1850 describes the George Hotel which “may be readily recognised by its handsome portico covering the approach to the house and affording a convenient protection on alighting or entering carriages or public conveyances. This house is fitted with every elegant and necessary convenience, for the reception of private families and visitors, under the careful superintendence of Mr. Fleischmann, whose general arrangements are unquestionable. The coaching department is efficiently supplied, and every facility afforded to persons who ‘would resign the winding road for formal line’”.
In 1878 street directories of Cheltenham indicate that the premises was trading as the George Temperance Hotel, being run by W.H. May.
Jonadab McCarthy was the owner of the George Hotel throughout the time span from 1891 to 1903. It was classified as an ale house, trading free from brewery tie, and had a fixed annual rateable value of £29.15s.0d during those twelve years.
Landlords at the George Hotel include:
1830 William Hughes
1844 Charles Lowe (George Tap, Albion Street)
1850 Mr Fleischmann
1870,1878 Jane Gunner (listed as George Hotel, Albion Street in 1870)
1878 W.H. May (listed as George Temperance Hotel, High Street)
1883 Francois Metral
1885 Joseph Bayley
1891 George William Godsell
1902,1906 Henry Fowles (Henry Daniel Fowles in 1903)