This pub was lived in before 1786 by a Mr. George Maggs.
Weekly markets were once held on the green outside the pub, becoming a cattle market in the 1870’s. The George & Dragon is situated at the top of Winterbourne Hill.
Owner in 1891: John Crinks (leased Georges & Co., Bristol Brewery)
Rateable value in 1891: £34.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Bristol United Brewery
Rateable value in 1903: £45.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Landlords at the George & Dragon include:
1885,1891 Henry Thomas Price
1897 George Hanson
1902 William James Hanson
1903 Charles Langton
1919,1927 Henry Alfred Heale
1939 William B. Duncombe