The Gardeners Rest was built for the Stroud Brewery by architects H.R. Robinson for the Cashes Green housing estate and opened on 15th August 1956. It was one of the last new build pubs to be commissioned by the Stroud Brewery.  The pub was named in honour of the hard working gardeners of the adjoining housing estate who could ‘rest’ at their local. Genuine garden tools adorned the entrance to the pub.

In the 1960’s the Gardeners Rest had a successful darts team. The Stroud Darts League Knockout competition, held at Stroud Subscription Rooms, was won by the Gardeners Rest.

The Gardeners Rest passed from Stroud Brewery ownership into the newly formed West Country Breweries in 1958 and subsequently became a Whitbread tied house. It was acquired by Wiltshire brewers, Wadworth & Co. of Devizes. In May 2006 Wadworth Brewery sold the pub to property developers who applied for planning permission for the building to be turned into four flats and three bungalows.

Map Reference: SO 832057

Licensing Details:

Owner in 1956: Stroud Brewery

Owners in 1990: Wadworth & Co., Devizes

Landlords at the Gardeners’ Rest include:

1956 Eric Tuckwell

1960’s John Palmer

1980 Dave Bence

1993,1999 Bob and Pat Jones

2001 Rebecca Potter (manager)

2004 Danny and Nikki Witcombe

Share this Page: