Behind the newer Full Moon (now demolished to make way for housing) there is a house called the Old Full Moon, which was the original pub (in the pic’ below). This older Moon closed when West Country Breweries built the newer Full Moon Inn c.1964 and the licence was transferred.

When landlord Joe Carley was removing some thick creepers from the front of the pub he was delighted to uncover a West Country Ales plaque that had not been seen in years. The pub sign also had a metal bracket with the West Country Breweries ‘castle’ emblem.

Photo taken circ. 1939.
Full Moon - Synwell Green, Wotton-Under-Edge
This is the original Full Moon which is extant. The wooden hut to the right was the British Legion. The hut was later demolished after the new Full Moon was built behind it (see aerial image below).

The newer Full Moon has now been demolished and is a housing development called Reynolds Close (named after Dave Reynolds a previous landlord).
Old Full Moon – Note the three smaller extension on the right side of the pub have been removed.

The Citizen: Tuesday, August 20th, 1991 – Pub Campaign: Regulars at the Full Moon pub at Synwell, Wotton-under-Edge, are continuing their campaign to save the inn from closure by writing to the Queen and Prime Minister. The pub is one of dozens earmarked for sale by owners Whitbread.

Arial photo 1960’s – You can see a yellow van in the car park of the newer Full Moon. It was a typical 1960’s building with a flat roof

Owner in 1891: Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd., Wickwar Brewery

Rateable Value in 1891: £11.10s.0d.

Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse

Owner in 1903: Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd., Wickwar Brewery

Rateable Value in 1903: £14.10s.0d.

Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse

Closing time in 1903: 11pm


Full Moon Pub Sign - Synwell, Wotton-Under-Edge

Landlords at the Full Moon include:

1842 James Webb

1849,1856 Mrs Elizabeth Webb

1863,1867 John Hollis, jnr.

1875,1881 William Bradfield (aged 62 in 1881)

1885 Geo. Enos. James

1889,1891 Osborne Reynolds

1897,1903,1906 John Bignall

1910 William Bignell

1919 Thomas Webb

1920,1921 Joseph Webb

1923,1933 Francis William Henry Bennett

1934-1958 James (called Jim) Price 

1958-1962 William Arthur Davies

1962-? David Reynolds

1970’s Trevor and Jan Warden

1997 Leonard Murphy

1998- Richard and Tania Yeomans (manager); owner Peter Wilson (Ceastan Inns)

2001-2003 Derek and Sue Woolford (owners – who eventually sold the pub, to be sold on again to developers)

2003 – Joe and Teresa Carley (the last before demolition)

Share this Page: