The original Frogmill was a working mill dating back to 1068 and it was mentioned in the Doomsday Book. It became a coaching inn during the 1600’s. It was once tied to the Stow Brewery but was later associated with the Cheltenham Brewery. The Frogmill was bought by the Old English pub chain in the late 1990’s. This company, in turn, was acquired by Greene King of Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk. The Frogmill was then sold to new owners – Windash Ltd. In June 2006. The directors of Windash also bought the Quality Inn in Gloucester Road, Staverton for £2.5 million. The company subsequently got into difficulties and the Frogmill Hotel ceased trading in August 2007. The problems were confounded when the premises were flooded in the Great Gloucestershire flood of 20th July 2007.
The Frogmill is now owned by the Brakspear Pub Company.
This page will be updated with additional information.
Map Reference: SP 028183
Owner in 1891: Exors of W. Peachey., Esq. (free from brewery tie)
Rateable value in 1891: £22.10s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Edward Augustus Green, Stow Brewery
Rateable value in 1903: £22.10s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords at the Frogmill Inn include:
1841,1861 William Williams
1885,1897 James Robbins
1902,1906 William Brown
1919,1927 Albert John Mills
1939 William James Waring
2006 Trevor and Ross Warren