There is only one reference to the Frocester Inn in 1830. This was probably a reference to the George Hotel.
1830 William Orchard (Frocester Inn)
The George was built in 1716 and traded as the George alehouse during the reign of King George III. The George was once an important coaching inn on the route from Gloucester to Bath. Here horses rested before tackling the arduous climb up Frocester Hill. The name was changed to the Royal Gloucestershire Hussars in the early 1970’s but reverted back to the George in 1997. Before returning to its proper identity of the George it was known for a year or two as the Royal George – combining both the old names. It is now called the George Inn. The George Inn was named Country Life Country Pub of the Year in 2004 and 2005.
In 1974 Whitbread published a book entitled ‘Inn and around. 250 favourite Whitbread pubs.’
Map Reference: SO 785031
This page will be updated with additional information.
Rateable Value in 1891: £20.0s.0d.
Owner in 1891: J.A. Graham-Clarke (free from brewery tie)
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Rateable Value in 1903: £30.0s.0d.
Owner in 1903: Trustees of J.A. Graham Clark (free from brewery tie)
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
1830 William Orchard (Frocester Inn – see above)
1856 Mrs Sarah Trueman
1885,1927 William Pick
1939 Douglas Chetham Pim
1978 David Morris
1995 Royal Gloucestershire Hussars
1997 Rod Pearce (Royal George)
1998 Alasdair MacLeod, Carol Beswick and Alan Gilmore (George Inn)
2006 Jane Pain
2008 Mike and Libby Reynolds (The George at Frocester)