Woodford is a hamlet in the parish of Alkington half a mile to the north-east of Stone. The Fox Inn was located on the junction of the Bristol Road (A38) and Damery Lane. The Fox Inn closed in 1968 and has been converted to a private residence called Foxley House.

Map Reference: ST 692958

Licensing Details:

Owner in 1891: Joseph Davis (free from brewery tie)

Rateable value in 1891: £24.0s.0d.

Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse

Owner in 1903: Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd., Wickwar Brewery

Rateable value in 1903: £10.0s.0d. (The 1891 rates might have included land but this is not specified)

Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse

Closing time in 1903: 10pm

Landlords at the Fox Inn include:

1856 J. Ingram

1885,1891  Joseph Davis

1897 Mrs Catherine Esther Davis

1903 Tom Thomas

1906 Joseph Prosser

1910 Robert Swain

1919,1927 Sidney Hubert Selwyn

1960 Mrs Edith Selwyn

1968 Walter and Dorothy Edith Bick (retired in 1968. Mrs Bick died in Oct 1999 aged 84)

Share this Page: