The Four Mile house (now Fagins) is four miles from Gloucester Cathedral and about four miles to Stroud. It is actually located in the parish of Harescombe. The Four Mile House was once a coaching inn and dates back to at least 1856.
The Citizen: Tuesday 8th September 1987 – Pub’s £200 gifts: Three charities have reaped the benefit of a year-long cash raising effort by regulars at the Four Mile House pub in Painswick (sic). Licensee Mr. Bill Bayliss decided the McMillan Nurses, Ermin House and the Dolphin Children Fund should be the charities to benefit from the pub’s annual round of raffles. Each was given a cheque last night. Mr Bayliss is already planning his next fund-raising drive. There will be a barbecue and full cabaret in the pub on September 16, which it is hoped will raise over £1,000 for the Stroud-based Meningitis Trust.
When Easton and Alison Hogben of Quality Inns of Gloucester took over the lease from Whitbread Pub Partnerships in 2000, £300,000 was spent on refurbishing the pub. The pub has an outdoor play area for children and in 2005 had a play barn with chickens roaming free.
This page will be updated with additional information.
Map Reference: SO 837122
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1891: W.C. Lucy, Esq. (free from brewery tie)
Rateable Value in 1903: £36.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Major General C.B. Thackwell (free from brewery tie)
Owner in 2000,2022: Quality Inns of Gloucester
1856 Mrs E. Coates
1885,1903 John Taylor
1919 Samuel Pearce
1927 William Henry Luker
1939 Rt. Alfred Lee
c.1939-c.1945 Harold & Mabel Wright
1981,1985 Bill Bayliss
1997 Frank O’Shaughnessy
2000 Wendy and Kent Hamblett (managers)
2005 Janice Allen (manager)