The Gloucester Citizen reported on 5th March 1926 that there were four other licensed premises within a distance of 840 yards. Mr Langley Smith handed in a petition extensively signed by the people of the district appealing against the closure of the house. The license, however, was referred for compensation. In May 1926 it was recommended for closure.
The Fountain Inn was situated on ‘Fountain Pitch’, a steep road (now a pathway) running from London Road to Middle Road. Fountain Pitch leaves London Inn between the old Phoenix Inn and the now closed Waggon and Horses. It is now a private residence known as ‘Glenhurst’.
Map Reference: SO 863033
Owner in 1891: Charles and W. Smith (leased to Brimscombe Brewery)
Rateable value in 1891: £3.10s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse
Owner in 1903: Mary Ann White (leased to Brimscombe Brewery)
Rateable value in 1903: £18.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords at the Fountain Inn include:
1891 Mary Ann Hill
1903 Restall James Face
1926 Maude Budding (last licensee, probably moved to the Phoenix Inn Thrupp)