Number 2 Kingsholm Road in 1919 directory. The Fortune of War was owned by Godsell & Sons of Salmon’s Spring, Stroud.
It is possible that the pub previously traded as the Beehive Inn. There is a mention of the Beehive in Kingsholm Road in 1842.
The license of the Fortune of War was surrendered by Godsell’s Brewery so that ‘new premises could be erected at the corner of Calton Road and Ladysmith Road to be known as the Calton Hotel.’
Gloucester Journal: September 1880 – Mrs. Turner of the Fortune of War Inn, Westgate Street, (sic) Gloucester, was admitted to the Infirmary. She slipped on some orange peel, a broken thigh being the result.
1859,1879 William Tilley
1885 Alice Amelia Tilley
1893 C.J. Collie
1902 George Richards
1906 Mrs S.A. Richards
1919 Charles Harcourt
1927 Frederick C. Butler