The Fleet Inn is a 15th century pub on the banks of the River Avon. The location was a ferry crossing point from one bank to the other. The original ferry was demanded in the court rolls of Henry VIII. The ferry was often used to transport grazing cattle across the River Avon. In the early days of motoring cars were transported using a makeshift ferry but the operation was not successful as it recorded that the ferry could not carry the weight of motor cars and occasionally sank! In 1951 the ferryman was paid wages of £3.9s.2d. plus £1.15s.0d. keep. The ferry was discontinued in the 1960’s. It was re established in the 1990’s so that customers could gain access to the pub from the Bredon side of the River Avon. Another river ferry ran a shuttle service from Tewkesbury to the Fleet Inn. It was a successful tourist attraction carrying passengers to the Fleet to drink and dine. Unfortunately the ferry service suffered from the effects of the July 2007 flooding and did not operate in the 2008 season.
The Fleet Inn is also prone to flooding, particularly the adjoining caravan park and the extensive gardens. In April 1998 the landlord was upset to discover that the popular pets corner had been unexpectedly been deluged by rising flood waters and turkeys, rabbits and a peacock were drowned. The flood came so suddenly that staff and volunteers were unable to save the animals.
A quarter of a million pounds was spent on a refurbishment of the Fleece at Twyning in 1991. It was transformed into a basic two-bar pub, with outside toilets, into a much larger house with interconnecting rooms. The former kitchen, with flagstone floor, became part of the main bar area. The Fleece was reopened in July 1991.
Wadworth Brewery of Devizes, Wiltshire acquired the Fleet Inn to their pub estate but sold the pub to Liberation Group / Butcombe Brewery in November 2020.
This page will be updated with additional information.
Map Reference: SO 905365
Owner in 1891: Jupp & Meyer, Abbey Brewery Tewkesbury
Rateable value in 1891: Not given
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd., Wickwar Brewery
Rateable value in 1903: £69.10s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords at the Fleece Inn include:
1856 W. Young
1885 Mrs Elizabeth Young
1891 James Levi Wood.
1902 Isaac Dale
1903,1906 Charles C. Dale
1919 James Lewis
1927 Watkin Herbert
1939 Eustace F. Smith
1991 Colin & Pam Haber
1994-2000 Peter and Ann Goddard
2001 Jack and Sarnia Pitcher
2007 John and Jackie Bishop