The Farriers Arms was a small pub consisting of a public bar, which faced onto Church Street, and a smaller ‘snug’ at the rear with access gained from the passageway on the left. The Farriers Arms also had a ‘jug and bottle’ off sales provision. The pub was deemed not necessary to ‘meet the wants of the neighbourhood’ during the First World War and closed in 1917, with the payment of some compensation – presumably to the Cheltenham Original Brewery.
In the 1970’s the property was the Tewkesbury office of the ‘Gloucestershire Echo’ newspaper but has now reverted to residential use. It is to the left of the White Rose Gallery.
From ‘Tewkesbury Pubs’ by B.R. Linnell (1996 edition)
This was at 87 Church Street, for over fifty years the ‘Echo’ office. It is a long, narrow house with access to the various ground floor rooms off a through passage. The two storeys are fronted with Georgian painted brick but the frame is pure 16th century. This may have been the ‘Talbot’ which was open 1637/1817. The landlord in 1850 was Thomas Hart, descendant of Judith, sister to William Shakespeare.
Map Reference: SO 892325
Owner in 1891: Cheltenham Original Brewery
Rateable value in 1891: £18.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Cheltenham Original Brewery
Rateable value in 1903: £24.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Landlords at the Farriers Arms include:
1774-1789 James White
1789-1795 Susannah White (widow)
1795-1798 Thomas Blizard
1798-1803 Francis Blizard
1803-1822 William Moore
1822 Joseph Hawkes
1830 Charles Crees
1838-1844 James Payne
1844-1852 Thomas Hart
1856 Mrs E. Hart
1859 Richard Preston
1865 William Scott
1895-1866 Mary Ann Scott (widow)
1866 William Young
1876-1880 James Craddock
1885,1886 Mrs Martha Stanley
1888 E. Savage
1888 H.E. Gardner
1891,1892 Thomas Eddolls
1892 Mrs Jane Knight
1892-1893 J. Briggs
1893 G.D. Braham
1898-1901 William John Bridge
1901-1906 Mrs Bridge (widow)
1906-1909 Morrison Bridge
1909-1910 Alice Mary Walker (widow)
1910-1917 Thomas Maxwell