The Farmers Arms dates back to the 16th century It was a Whitbread pub in the 1970’s and 1980’s and was sold as a free house in 1989.
A small thatched farm building in the grounds of the pub was renovated in early 1992 and converted into a brewhouse. The first trial brews were made in May 1993 and the Mayhem’s Brewery was officially launched in August 1993. Two beers were produced. Oddas Light, which was a refreshing pale bitter with an OG of 1038 and Sundowner Heavy which was a delicious dark ale with an OG of 1044. The Mayhem’s Brewery at the Farmers Arms produced around 5 barrels a week for each of the beers. There was a public viewing gallery where the brewing operations could be observed.
In 1996 the Farmers Arms was purchased by Wadworth of Devizes and, for a while, the small brewery continued to brew Oddas Light and Sundowner for a handful of Wadworth pubs. The brewing ceased at Mayhems Brew House in February 2001 and the brewing plant was removed and taken to Devizes where it was installed and used by Wadworth to make occasional ‘one-off’ brews. The old brewhouse at the Farmers Arms has since been converted to self-catering accommodation – appropriately called the Old Brew House.
In 2005 a local delicacy was reintroduced on the menu at the Farmers Arms. Elvers, tiny baby eels, caught in the River Severn used to be a popular dish in local pubs. However, the price of Elvers has rocketed in recent years because of high demand from overseas and strict licensing restrictions that keep stocks low. Maurice Estop was able to obtain stocks of Elvers, imported all the way from Spain! They were sold at the pub for £14 for a 200 grammes main course – a bargain!
This page will be updated with additional information.
Map Reference: SO 867278
Owner in 1891: William Newman (free from brewery tie)
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse
Owner in 1903: Flowers & Sons, Stratford on Avon
Rateable value in 1903: £36.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903:
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords at the Farmers Arms include:
1891 Ann Clifford
1903 William Colwall
1939 Richard Richards
1984,1998 Geoff and Carole Adams
2002 Tim Newman
2004,2005 Maurice Estop
2008 (March) Daniel and Jessica Pardoe