Chapel Street is a no-through road situated off New Street and running parallel, and immediately behind, Ambrose Street. There is a row of terraced houses on the western side which might have once housed the Express Inn.
The Express Inn was owned by Corpus Christi College of Oxford in 1891 and 1903 and leased to the Cheltenham Original Brewery. Licensed as a beer house it had an annual rateable value of £18.10s.0d. in 1891 decreasing one pound and ten shillings to £17.0s.0d. in 1903.
The pub might have once been called the Hole in the Wall, which was listed at 5 Chapel Street in the 1870’s.
Landlords at the Express Inn include:
1891 Augustus Holtham
1903 Charles Wellan