The land was purchased in 1861 by George Griffin (a Blacksmith) and was sold by him in 1874 to Henry Perrett & Absalom Perrett (brewers of Wotton under Edge). The property was sold to Messrs Arnold Perrett & Co ‘and others’ in 1927. Local story is that miners at Rangeworthy Colliery were in the Engine Inn when water broke into the mines and they were flooded “and all their tools were left down there”. However , the same story is told locally regarding Cromhall colliery and Hunters Hall. Property now called Greenacres Farm (previously No 15 Engine Common. Postal codes for Engine Common Lane are BS37 7PU, 7PX.
Map reference: ST 701846
Owner in 1891: Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd., Wickwar Brewery
Rateable value in 1891: £16.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse
Owner in 1903: Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd., Wickwar Brewery
Rateable value in 1903: £16.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords at the Engine Common Inn include:
1874 George Griffin (Beer retailer and blacksmith)
1891,1903 William Dyer
1927 Joseph Dyer (retired beer seller)