The Eliot Arms closed down in the 1870’s. The pub took its name from the Eliot family who were owners of the Down Ampney estate in the 1740’s. The pub was popular with canal navvies when the Thames & Severn canal was being built. The navvies were often boisterous and on one occasion, according to a local story, a fight led to a murder.
Upon closure the Eliot Arms was converted to a farmhouse – Laynes House. The building is a large four gabled Cotswold stone house opposite the village war memorial.
There is no evidence to suggest that it was once a pub. However, the wooden sign ‘Eliot Arms Inn’ has apparently survived in a private collection.
Map Reference: SU 104975
1856 J. Rex