The Eight Bells has an unusual frontage with timber framed gables protruding over the pavement. The entrance was set back beneath the upper floors. A landlord fell to his death by falling down a well at the pub in the 1890’s. The Tetbury branch of the Royal British Legion had their inaugural meeting at the Eight Bells in June 1923. The Eight Bells closed in the 1970’s.
Owner in 1891: Messrs N. &W. Cook, Tetbury Brewery
Rateable value in 1891: £12.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Messrs N. &W. Cook, Tetbury Brewery
Rateable value in 1903: £15.5s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Landlords at the Eight Bells include:
1830 Ann Buckingham
1844 Edmund Sealy
1856 Mrs A. Cox
1885 Henry Cuss
1891 Jonathan Pratt
1903,1919 Robert Palmer
1927 James Joseph Long
1939 Ernest Joseph Strong