The Eight Bells is a delightful honey coloured 13th century Cotswold stone inn with a cobbled courtyard. The pub sign is of interest. It has eight bells in descending order of size across the top of the bracket. A conventional inn sign hangs below the eight bells.
The reference to H. Gardner & Sons in 1891 probably should be Lardner & Sons of Little Compton, whose brewery was acquired in 1898 by Hitchman & Co. Ltd. of Chipping Norton.
It seems that the tied estate of Lardner’s Compton Stream Brewery was sold piecemeal, as Flowers & Sons of Stratford on Avon owned the Eight Bells in 1903.
The Eight Bells is now renowned for its food.
This page will be updated with additional information.
Owner in 1891: ‘H.Gardner & Sons’ (probably meant to be Lardner & Sons, Little Compton)
Rateable value in 1891: £15.3s.4d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Flowers & Sons, Stratford on Avon
Rateable value in 1903: £15.3s.4d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Landlords at the Eight Bells include:
1856,1858 Richard Andrews
1885 George Freeman
1891 George Freeman
1902,1906 James John Gladwin
1910 Millicent Gladwin
1919 Thomas A. Harris
1921-1953 James Sadler, followed by his son Samuel.
2002 Neil Hargreaves