James Merchant was the owner of the Duke of York in 1891 which he leased to the Cheltenham Original Brewery. Twelve years later in 1903 the Cheltenham Brewery had purchased the pub outright. The Duke of York had an annual rateable value of £15.5s.0d. and it was licensed as a beer house.
On June 17th 1905, the Gloucester Journal reported of a meeting of the Gloucestershire Licensing Committee who had concluded that the “house was unnecessary and not easy of police supervision being up a passage.”
Oxford Passage is the small lane immediately to the east of the site of the old Whitbread (Flowers) Brewery. There is an old brick building along the passage in light industrial use which might have possibly once been a pub (and brewery?).
Landlords at the Duke of York include:
1870,1878 John Ellis
1883 C. Phipps
1891 John Jakeway
1903,1905 William Bradley