The Gloucester Licences submitted the Duke of Gloucester for compensation in December 1905 stating that: “we are decidedly of the opinion that, having regard to the character and necessities of the respective neighbourhoods, and that in the general interest of the public, the renewal of the license is not desirable.” The owners of the Duke of Gloucester at this time were the Nailsworth Brewery. The site of the Duke of Gloucester is now intersected by the main ring road.


1830 Mary Beard

1856,1859 Thomas Knight

1879 John Evans

1885 John Price

1893 Sidney Frederick Flowers (had moved to the Rummer Inn, Chepstow by 1901)

1902,1906 Edward John Hawker

Share this Page: