Closing time was at 10 p.m. in 1903. There must have been a steady migration eastwards to Cirencester where the pubs in nearby Gloucester Street closed at 11 p.m.

In the bar there is a made up pub sign showing a monkey sratching its bottom with the title: ‘The Mandrills Arms’.

The pub had a long association with Courages’ Brewery but it was one of the first pubs to be acquired by Archers Brewery of Swindon. It has now been sold by Archers and operates as a free house. A mini beer festival is held at the pub on August Bank Holiday.

Courtesy Michael Wilkes

This page will be updated with additional information.

Map Reference: SP 017031

Licensing Details:

Owner in 1891: Cirencester Brewery

Rateable Value in 1891: £14.10s.0d.

Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse

Owner in 1903: Cirencester Brewery

Rateable Value in 1903: £16.0s.0d.

Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse

Closing time in 1903: 10pm

Landlords at the Drillmans Arms include:

1891,1903  Joseph Smith

1939 Alfred S. Potter

1989 Brian Law

1999 Richard & Denise Selby

Richard and Denise Selby
Share this Page: