The Dog Inn was situated on the western side of Victoria Street, not far from the Nags Head. In the 1891 and 1903 licensing books it is listed as a free house owned by William Jones. The annual rateable value was set at £25.0s.0d. ‘Last orders’ were called at 11 pm each night. The Dog Inn had passed into the ownership of the voracious Wickwar Brewery (Arnold, Perrett & Co. Ltd.) by 1904.
The landlord of the Dog Inn, George Morgan, was convicted and fined 20/- plus costs for being drunk on his own premises on April 4th 1904. He had been in trouble a year before for ‘selling beer to an under 14-year old in an inadequately sealed bottle’, although he was acquitted on that occasion.
The Dog Inn closed in 1926.
Landlords at the Dog Inn include:
1869-1887 William Jones
1889-1894 Luke Newman
1897,1902,1903 Daniel Prosser (listed as a beer retailer in 1902)
1903,1904 George Morgan
1910-1912 Ernest Byett
1915 (30th April) James Prosser to Richard White