The Dog Inn was referred to in 1734. On 28th July 1882 it was included in the sale of property of the late Elizabeth Ann Hartley de Paliatano. The details describe the Dog Inn as a ‘fully licensed and much frequented public house with a newly erected brew house.’ By this time Old Sodbury had its own brewery run by Charles Smith. This brewery was situated further up the hill. (Hartley Arms?) The site is now occupied by a new house called the Maltings. The brewery was purchased in 1884 by James Mason Perrett. The Dog Inn was tied to James Perretts’ brewery. There was a carpenters workshop attached to the pub. When the railway was being constructed the Dog Inn was very popular with the ‘navvies.’ The pub had its own skittle alley.
Owner in 1839: William Harvey
Owner in 1891: E.A.H. De Palatiano – Tied to James Mason Perrett
Rateable value in 1891: £21.10s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Tied to James Mason Perrett
Rateable value in 1903: £25.10s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords at the Dog Inn include:
1744 John Isaac
1776 Thomas Hayes
1839 Robert Collins
1856 E. Isaac
1881, 1902 Priscilla Ralph (aged 34 in 1881)
1903,1906 Mrs Marianne Slade
1919 Josiah E. Hunt
1927 Mrs Beatrice F. Mott
1939 Arthur Sidney Hinder
2003 John Brian Harris