The Crown Inn, once a Hitchman’s of Chipping Norton tied house, was located immediately to the right of the Curfew Tower in the centre of Moreton on the Fosse Way (A429) and Oxford Street (A44) junction. The Crown Inn closed in 1921.
Albert Edmunds, the last licensee, kept a large white parrot in the bar which was infamous for its swearing. For many years the premises was used as a car show room but it is now occupied by North Cotswolds Insurance Services.
Owner in 1891: Hitchman & Co., Chipping Norton
Rateable value in 1891: £18.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Hitchman & Co., Chipping Norton
Rateable value in 1903: £31.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Landlords at the Crown Inn include:
1821 Richard Mealings
1856 Henry Wells
1863 Edwin Wood
1879,1885 Thomas Lamb
1891 Elizabeth Lamb
1902,1906 Allan Robert Holbeach
1914 Harry Ernest Wood
1921 Albert Edmunds