In 1891 and 1903 the Crown Inn was listed as a beer house and the owner was Mrs Deane.  In the twelve years from 1891 to 1903 the annual rateable value more than doubled from £12.0s.0d. to £27.0s.0d. A possible reason for the increase is that Ind Coope Brewery of Burton on Trent had taken on the lease by Edwardian times and may have expanded the property. In 1891 there was no brewery tie and the Crown Inn was a free house.  Closing time was at 10 pm.

The Crown Inn closed c.1992. In its final years it traded as a free house selling Hook Norton Best Bitter and even gained an entry in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide in 1986,1987 and 1988.

Courtesy Andrew Fielder. April 1991.

The old pub has now been converted into residential flats. (Crown Close).

Landlords at the Crown Inn include:

1885 Francis Edwin Stallard

1891 T.R. Chew

1903 Walter W. James

1939 Alfred Mayo

Share this Page: