Bevington is a small isolated hamlet on the River Severn plain some two miles south west of Berkeley. The rateable value per annum in 1891 was £14.5s.0d, which had decreased to just £8.5s.0d. in 1903. In its latter years the Crown was often called by its nickname, ‘the Ramping Cat’ although how it got this name is not known.
The Citizen: 25th January, 1985- Former licensee dies: Mr Stan Applegate, former licensee and Port of Bristol signalman, has died in Thornbury Hospital after a short illness. Eighty-year-old Mr Applegate lived at Court Meadow, Stone, near Berkeley. He was publican for more than a quarter of a century – first as landlord of the Crown Inn at Bevington, near Berkeley, and then the Crown at Stone. He had previously spent 43 years at the Port of Bristol, where he started as an assistant leadman on tugboats on the Severn estuary and retired as chief signalman in the marine section at Avonmouth. He is survived by his wife and two sons who operate a coach firm from Heathfield Garage, near Berkeley.
The building that once served as the village local is now a private house called Crown Cottage.
Map Reference: ST 654972
Owner in 1891: Thomas King (free from brewery tie)
Rateable value in 1891: £14.5s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse
Owner in 1903: Thomas King (free from brewery tie)
Rateable value in 1903: £8.5s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903:
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords at the Crown Inn include:
1891 Mary Knight
1903 Sidney Malpass
1939 Samuel Joseph W. Rowles