The building that was once the Crown Inn was converted to the Lodge Balti restaurant in August 1998. There is a large window frame at ground floor level that has been in place for many years. Originally the largest semi-circular pane of glass within the wooden  surround was an etched decorative pub window bearing the Stroud Brewery insignia and the words ‘Crown Inn.’  It was replaced with plain glass.

The Crown Inn had either moved or expanded into adjacent premises during its association with West Country Breweries as a ceramic plaque is inlaid into the wall. The Crown Inn was called the Inn Place in the early 1990’s.

The 1996 ‘Real Ale in Gloucestershire’ (CAMRA) describes the Crown Inn as a ‘basic town pub with one large bar. Pool table.’ It must have closed down soon after (or before) publication of the RAIG guide.

The Inn Place. The original etched window appears to be still in place.

Licensing Details:

Owner in 1891: Stroud Brewery

Rateable value in 1891: £16.0s.0d.

Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse

Owner in 1903: Stroud Brewery

Rateable Value in 1903: £16.0s.0d.

Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse

Closing time in 1903: 11pm


Landlords at the Crown Inn include:

1885,1891 Charles Owen

1902,1903 Albert Heath

1906 Mrs Annie Heath

1919,1939 Charles Owen

Share this Page: