The Cross Keys is listed at 214 High Street in the 1830 Pigots Directory with Robert Smith in occupation as landlord. 214 High Street equates to 391 Lower High Street in the subsequent and current renumbering. This would have been on the site of the recently demolished Mecca Bingo Hall (previously the Essoldo Cinema). The Golden Lion Inn traded in the same vicinity, which is documented as closing in 1872. It is not yet known if the Cross Keys and Golden Lion were trading contemporary with each other, or if the name of the Cross Keys changed to the Golden Lion.