The Cross Keys was situated on the junction of the A38 and B4008. (Just north of Junction 12 on the M5). The rateable values of 1891 and 1903 show a massive decrease, which tends to suggest that the rateable value included additional land on the property in 1891. In December 2006 the Cross Keys closed to allow renovation work to take place. A planning application was submitted to Stroud District Council for a first floor extension to be constructed on the property. The plans were approved by the planning department but no work was undertaken. The Cross Keys remained closed in October 2008.
After the pub closed the building was used as a mobility and disabled aids shop.
This page will be updated with additional information.
Map Reference: SO 802119
Rateable Value in 1891: £36.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1891: Miss Clara Carter (leased Godsell & Sons, Salmon Springs Brewery, Stroud)
Rateable Value in 1903: £10.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Mrs Phipps (leased Godsell & Sons, Salmon Springs Brewery, Stroud)
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Owners in 1928: Stroud Brewery Company
Owners in 2006: Enterprise Inns
Landlords at the Cross Keys include:
1891 Job Vaughan
1903 Hubert J. Vaughan
1927 William Darke
1936,1939 Herbert Selwyn
? Ken Holder (moved to Hauliers Arms, Southgate Street )
1998 Ted and Diane Jenkins
2005 Edward Jenkins