The 18th century Cross Inn is on the corner of Star Lane and Hampton Hill. It now trades as the Queen Matilda Country Inn.
The Stroud Brewery Courier reported in June 1949: ‘All customers over eighty years of age are provided with cushions in the public bar at the Cross Inn, Avening. At the moment they have five regulars who qualify!’
This page will be updated with additional information.
Map Reference: ST 885978
Owner in 1891: Stroud Brewery
Rateable value in 1891: £9.10s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Stroud Brewery (listed as the Golden Cross Inn)
Rateable value in 1903: £9.10s.0d. (listed as the Golden Cross Inn)
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse (listed as the Golden Cross Inn)
Closing time in 1903: 10pm (listed as the Golden Cross Inn)
Landlords at the Cross Inn include:
1856 James Sharp
1885,1902 Thomas Essex
1903,1906 Honor Dee (Mrs Honor Dee in 1906)
1919,1927 Frederick Dee
1939 Joseph Mullen
1948,1950 John Latham
1965-1974 Cyril Wilson (previously at Bedford Arms, Stroud)
2007,2008 Glyn and Claire Crosthwaite