The Cross Hands was located at the foot of Stamages Lane to the south of Painswick, where Wick Street crosses the Painswick Stream. In the 19th century there was a small weaving community in the area. The Cross Hands retains its name as a private residence.
The Cross Hands became a Stroud Brewery pub in 1928 when brewers Godsell & Sons were acquired. Stroud Brewery Company etched windows were later installed in the pub. The front door panel of the property still retains the original etched glass.
The Stroud Brewery Courier reported in March 1949: ‘Congratulations to Mr and Mrs Ernest Garraway who celebrated their golden wedding on Christmas Eve. They were married at Tetbury, of which both are natives. They have been in the trade most of their lives and still conduct the Cross Hands Inn, Painswick, where they have been for the past 35 years.”
Map reference: SO 865092
Owner in 1891: William H. Spring (leased Godsell & Sons, Salmon Springs Brewery, Stroud)
Rateable value in 1891: £6.10s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: William H. Spring (leased Godsell & Sons, Salmon Springs Brewery, Stroud)
Rateable value in 1903: £6.10s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Landlords at the Cross Hands include:
1856 J. Bidmead
1876 William Brunsdon (also employed as a haulier)
1885 Mrs Jemima Mills
1891,1902 Mrs Emma Savory
1903,1906 Frank Morris
1914,1949 Mr and Mrs James Ernest Garraway