Rutland Street is now part of Brunswick Street (South). It was once a maze of high-density housing which became a notoriously crowded slum area. It was partly demolished in the 1934 slum clearance programme. Rutland Street seems to have been named after a property called Rutland Lodge (1806 reference), which was situated near the north end of St Georges Street.
There were once three pubs in Rutland Street, the Plasterers Arms, the Jolly Fellow and the Crispin Inn. It is not clear if all three pubs traded at the same time.
The area now is part of Lidl’s supermarket.
1844 John Hawkins