https://www.thecravenarms.co.uk

The Craven Arms, in the centre of Brockhampton village, is tucked away down a narrow lane and can be quite difficult to find for the first time visitor. The building can be traced back to the sixteenth century, and the interior retains some original features.

The Craven Arms is located within a few yards of the old Brockhampton Brewery – the old Combe’s brewery is easily identifiable as it retains its chimney stack. Surprisingly the Craven Arms was never tied to the Combe’s brewery. The pub sold beer from the Cheltenham Original Brewery. The Craven Arms had a license to sell intoxicating liquor on the premises only. Presumably anyone wanting to take beer home walked around the corner to Combe’s brewery.

Although the Combe’s Brockhampton Brewery was just a few yards away from the Craven Arms, the pub did not sell their ‘home brewed beer’.
Image: Gloucestershire Echo
Image: Gloucestershire Echo

Anne Jenkin has done some research into the history of Brockhampton. Of the Craven Arms she writes: “The Craven Arms began its life as a long dwelling house belonging to the Brockhampton Park Estate before being sold to the Craven family who gave it its name and its better known function.”

“I first saw the Craven in 1978 when its transformation had just began. The restaurant was soon added and has increased in popularity over the years.”

Image: Gloucestershire Echo
The Craven Arms bar in 2005
July 2006

When the Campbell family retired from the pub trade in 2004 and put the Craven Arms up for sale there were real fears that it would close for good. Some villagers and pub regulars organised a campaign –LOCAL ‘Leave Our Craven Arms Alone!’ – and a syndicate was drawn up for a potential purchase. However, their intervention was not needed as the Craven Arms passed into the care of the Price family.

This page will be updated with additional information.

Map Reference: SP 035224

Licensing Details:

Owner in 1891: James Walker, Guiting (leased Cheltenham Original Brewery)

Rateable value in 1891: £27.0s.0d.

Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse

Owner in 1903: James Walker, Guiting (leased Cheltenham Original Brewery)

Rateable value in 1903: £27.0s.0d.

Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse (on sales only)

Closing time in 1903: 10pm

Landlords at the Craven Arms include:

1851-1879 Isaac Fardon

1881 Harriett A. Fardon (widow)

1891,1903 Fanny Taylor

1912 Charles F. Denley

1931 Ernest Rackham

1939 Peter Wallbank

1987 Christopher Catmull

1988-2004 Dale Campbell

2004, 2010 Robert and Barbara Price

Share this Page: