This fine Cotswold stone three gabled building was converted into an inn in the early 19th century by Thomas Cox; a clothier who sold cloth to the East India Company. The Company’s Arms was only a stones throw from the Thames & Severn canal near the Chalford roundhouse and overlooked the parish church of Holy Trinity.
A photograph in the Stroud News and Journal on 3rd July 1964 shows Mr Don Furley and Mr Derek Iles taking down the pub sign at the Company’s Arms. The article describes how “last drinks were served by Mr and Mrs F. Dancey who had kept the house for the past 28 years after coming to this area from Chippenham. Mr Dancey who is now 75 and feels that it is now time to retire, is sure that the inns closure is a great mistake as it was so handy for nearby factory workers, especially those on the day shifts with only half an hour lunch breaks. The inn was originally a mill house for the Bliss Mills, being part of the estate of Corpus Christi College, Oxford, and was named after the East India Company whose powers were vested by the British Crown after the Indian Mutiny of 1858. It was the centre of the Chalford feast – now long exinct – but in the 1870’s was a tremendous event. There were roundabouts and other amusements in the yard of the inn and there were stalls stretching for a considerable distance. The last feasts, held about 1936-1939, were staged in Walkers Meadow. The Companys Arms nearest rival was the Carpenters Arms but at one time it was one of three public houses within a stones throw of each other”.
Gloucester Citizen – Friday August 16th 1974: ‘The Company’s Arms Inn in Chalford is one of 77 buildings of outstanding historical interest to be given a grant towards the cost of repair. The Historic Buildings Council for England are responsible for the £246,000 drive to improve our heritage. In addition 41 grants worth £225,000 have been made for outstanding conservation areas. The Council is also increasing grants it had previously given by an additional £92,000. The Company’s Arms is owned by Mr. C.S. Handley. £5,250 will be given towards costs of repairs.’
In October 1979 an application was submitted to Stroud District Council to turn Chalford Place back into a fully licensed premises to trade under the old name of the Company’s Arms. The premises at the time was in use as a residence with a licensed restaurant and home to a small business manufacturing corn dollies. Presumably the application was refused by Stroud District Council.
The Citizen. September 1986. Property section – Coles have an interesting property in Chalford Village for sale. Chalford Place is an imposing three storey residence reflecting an interesting mix of architectural styles. The North elevation facing the road is a conventional 16th century gabled Cotswold house; the south facing elevation overlooking the River Frome is partly built in classical early 18th century style with many fine details. The house was originally built as a home for one of the local mill owners and has gone full circle in that it is currently owned by the manager of a nearby engineering company (most of the former mills along the Stroud Valley are now used for engineering). During the early 19th -century the property was used as a public house – The Company’s Arms. In recent years it has been extensively modernised to provide an excellent family property. There is a gated entry to the courtyard, to one side of which is a small ground and first floor shop attractively refurbished to provide accommodation for a boutique. The gardens run down to the river.
Chalford Place is now owned by Damien Hirst, a famous contemporary artist and sculptor.
Map Reference: SO 892024
Owner in 1891: Stroud Brewery
Rateable value in 1891: £14.7s.6d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Stroud Brewery
Rateable value in 1903: £14.7s.6d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
1856 J. Knight
1885,1891 Henry William Matthews
1902,1927George Cook (George Augustus Cook in 1903)
1939 Frederick Simpkins Dancey