The Codrington Arms is actually in the parish of Iron Acton although the North Road area has always been separate from the village of Iron Acton. The area once housed the miners cottages for the collieries on Engine Common (then called Yate Common). The boundary between Yate and Iron Acton divides the common and cuts across North Road. Modern developments have also seen North Road now being physically attached to Yate. The Codrington Arms was known for a while as Jamesons in the late 1990’s. However, it has now reverted back to its original name. The Codrington Arms is now a popular public house and restaurant – ‘a country pub only minutes from town’.
Owner in 1891: Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd., Wickwar Brewery
Rateable value in 1891: £14.10s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891:
Owner in 1903: Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd., Wickwar Brewery
Rateable value in 1903: £14.10s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903:
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords at the Codrington Arms include:
1856 J. Shipp
1885,1906 John Washbourne
1919,1939 Harry Washbourne
2003 (January) Mark and Helen Janes