Before Thomas Telford constructed the cast iron Mythe Bridge over the River Severn in 1826 the main thoroughfare from Tewkesbury to the west towards Hereford and Wales was Quay Street. On the south side of Quay Street there were several beer houses that disappeared when the Mythe Bridge opened. Four pubs on the north side of Quay Street survived into the 20th century. The Coach and Horses was a brick building between the Star Inn and the Royal Oak. The Coach and Horses was the last pub in Quay Street, closing in 1962.
Owner in 1891: Mary Ann Perry (free from brewery tie)
Rateable value in 1891: £16.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Mary Ann Perry (free from brewery tie)
Rateable value in 1903: £40.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903:
Landlords at the Coach & Horses include:
1774-1783 Mary Ward (widow)
1783-1786 Nicholas Mann
1786-1793 Benjamin Mann
1793-1810 Mary Mann (widow)
1810-1822 Joseph Hanforth
1822,1830 William Browett (also trading as a coal dealer in 1830)
1852 Frederick Browett
1856,1868 John H. Merrick
1885,1906 Mary Ann Perry
1906-1908 Frederick Smith
1908-1918 Charles Hartland
1918-1942 Benjamin James Burford
1942 Archie Selby
1942-1962 Arthur Price