The building is now a private residence but the property is still called the Valley Inn. The 17th century house is in a wonderful secluded location next to the Thames & Severn canal and overlooking the Stroud-Swindon railway line. The property was presumably the clothiers house of the adjacent mill (which was demolished in 1972). The Clothiers Arms was trading in 1820 and is listed as such in the 1891 pub listing, although the 1891 census refers to it as the Golden Valley.
Wilts and Gloucestershire Standard, Saturday April 14th 1900 – “Sapperton. A Narrow Escape: Whilst engaged in his work unloading a boat at Daneway last week, Mr William Lewis, of the Golden Valley Inn, Chalford, slipped off a plank and fell into the canal, Fortunately his fellow workmen were able to quickly rescue him from his perilous position.”
The pub changed its name to the Valley Inn on February 11th 1916. The Valley Inn was refurbished and reopened on August 7th 1964 but had closed permanently by 1969. However the Valley Inn is included on the ‘Inns of the Cotswolds Map’ published by John Bartholomew & Sons in the mid 1970’s, compiled by K.C. Jordan.
Map Reference: SO 906025
Owner in 1891: Goodlake, Cirencester (free from brewery tie)
Rateable value in 1891: £15.5s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse (full 7 days licence)
Owner in 1903: Smith & Sons, Brimscombe Brewery
Rateable value in 1903: £15.5s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Full licence
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
1856 Joseph Chapman
1885 Thomas Bendall
1891 John William Verinder
1902,1903 William Lewis
1939 John Hy. Whiting