The Clothiers Arms took its name from the woollen cloth mills of the area. There are records of a cloth mill at Ebley as early as medieval times. The mills were located on the River Frome, providing power to turn the waterwheels required to operate the mill machinery. The clear waters of the River Frome were also suited for the dying and washing of the woollen cloth.
Owner in 1891: Stephen Jefferies (free from brewery tie)
Rateable value in 1891: £14.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse
Owner in 1903: Stephen Jefferies (free from brewery tie)
Rateable value in 1903: £14.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
1891,1903 Henry Jefferies